Pages

Things To Do In Barre

Rock of Ages Granite Quarry
Tour the world’s largest deep-hole dimension granite quarry, view the plant where gravestones are made, and roll a ball down the outdoor granite bowling alley. All in Barre.

Visiting Rock of Ages Corp. granite quarries is basically a tour of the immense.

The quarry itself is the world’s largest deep-hole dimension granite quarry, and though 600 feet of its depths are under a well of milky-green water, the quarry is astoundingly huge.

A school bus drives visitors up a bumpy road to the site, which can be viewed from behind a gate. What was once an operation requiring the hard manual labor of a few hundred men is today manned by about 7, with the help of some impressive machinery.

The bus ride up passes piles and piles of granite blocks – since 1885, quarry workers have simply dumped pieces of granite with fractures or cracks in these piles, called “grout piles,” which comes from the Scottish word for scrap (many Scots worked in the quarry in its early days). These piles are all over the town.

After the tour of the quarry, visitors can take a self-guided tour of the granite plant, which, again, is gigantic. Huge blocks of granite are moved around, cut, polished, and engraved for gravestones. The plant is a hive of activity, incredibly busy after the slow moving machinery of the quarry. Most of America’s granite headstones come from right here.

Before leaving, visitors can help themselves to some free souvenir granite from a granite scrap bin, and roll a few frames of bowling down the outdoor, granite lane. The Rock of Ages experimented with granite bowling lanes in the 1950s, but the concept never caught on. This lane was a prototype during those heady years, and has recently been restored for family fun. Sadly, the balls are rubber and the pins are light plastic, so the joy of bowling for many of us (throwing a hard heavy thing at other hard heavy things) is lost.
Hope Cemetery
Large cemetery known as the museum of granite sculpture.

Located in Barre, Vermont, the “Granite Capital of the World,” Hope Cemetery serves not only as a place to remember those who work outside the craft and are buried there, but also as a tribute to the stone cutters and artisans interred amongst the sculptures they created while they lived.

Established in 1895, Hope Cemetery consisted then of 53 acres designed and planned by the renowned landscape architect Edward P. Adams. By that time, stone cutters from all over the world, especially Italy, were flocking to Barre, Vermont, to enjoy the booming granite industry in the city. It is estimated than one out of every three memorials found across the United States was made using granite mined in Barre.

Barre is also known for having an uncommonly high death rate, but that, too, is related to the industry that made it famous. Silicosis, a respiratory disease that is caused by inhaling granite dust, led to an abnormal number of deaths in the area. When the Spanish Flu swept through the area, many knew that death could be just around the corner and got to work designing their own tombstones. This tradition has carried on ever since and about 75 percent of all of the tombstones found in Hope Cemetery were carved by the occupants of the graves they sit above.

Now about 65 acres in size, Hope Cemetery holds more than 10,000 tombstones and memorials. A common tourist destination, Hope Cemetery is known as the museum of granite sculpture or the gallery of granite artistry.

From Hope Cemetery to Thunder Road Speedbowl Barre Vermont, there are a variety of budget-friendly attractions in Barre and in nearby cities within 25 miles like Stowe, Montpelier, Waitsfield and Waterbury.

Barre Opera House

The Barre City Hall and Opera House is located at 12 North Main St. in Barre, 802-476-8188. It is open from 8:30am to 5:00pm. Ticket prices for performances vary.

Completed in 1899, the Barre City Hall and Opera House contains one of the best preserved late 19th century small theater interiors in northern New England. Facing the town common, the building is one of Barre’smost important landmarks. The imposing Neoclassical building was designed by George G. Adams, a well-known Massachusetts architect who was responsible for many public buildings throughout New England. The building represents an era when citizens had great public pride in their civic buildings, as well as the economic prosperity and growth Barre experienced at the end of the 19th century.

One hundred years later, the building still functions as it did originally. Offices for City Hall occupy the first floor, while the Opera House encompasses the upper floors. When it opened in August 1899 the Opera House was considered the finest theater in the State. Leading New York, Boston, and Chicago theater companies graced the stage, while John Philip Sousa, Helen Keller, James O’Neill, and Tom Mix (who appeared with his horse) were a few of the many individuals who entertained Barre audiences. Opera was quite popular with Barre’s Italian population, several of whom formed their own company and performed Italian operas on the Barre stage. Unfortunately, the Opera House experienced a decline in use after World War I, after which it was mainly used to show motion pictures, and eventually closed in 1940 for a period of more than 40 years.

The Opera House reopened in 1982, although in need of much repair. It was renovated over the next decade, and in 1993 a grand reopening took place showcasing the theater and three nights of local talent. Many of the original interior details remain including the original balcony and ornamented boxes, proscenium arch, art glass fanlight and pressed metal ceiling. The exterior of the yellow and red brick structure, like so many in Barre, features ornamental granite.

SAINT MONICA’S CHUCRH ,BERRE

St. Monica’s Church in the 1960’s

Saint Monica’s Church is a Roman Catholic parish located on Summer Street, in the city of Barre, Vermont.  Originally, the congregation dates from the early settlement of Barre in the 1880’s.

Before St. Monica’s was established, it was a mission stemming from the St. Augustine’s Church in Montpelier, where those seeking worship would travel from Barre to Montpelier.  In 1887, after being assigned the responsibility of preparing services for worship in the parishes of Graniteville, Barre and Moretown, a Father William J. O’Sullivan succeeded the Pastor of St. Augustine’s in Montpelier.  Upon his ordainment, he began to lay cornerstones in Graniteville for the construction of St. Sylvester’s Church and in Barre for St. Monica’s Church.  Construction was rapid, and soon both churches were consecrated.

The construction of these parishes were in response to the growing populations of the Italian and Irish Catholics who migrated to the Barre area seeking work in the Granite Industry.  At that time, the Catholic “settlers оf Barre hаd been traveling tо worship аt Montpelier. However, frоm 1881 the Catholic population hаd swollen tо the point thаt the priest frоm Montpelier wаs traveling tо Barre tо conduct worship fоr 31 families, initially іn the town hall. By 1886 the priest hаd leased а disused academy building tо accommodate the Barre Mission. А new purpose-built church wаs then needed.”

“The church wаs finished оn October 2, 1887. Saint Monica’s cost $25,000 tо build, including the lot fоr the church аnd rectory. The church wаs built tо accommodate the growing number оf Roman Catholic families, especially оf Irish, Italian, аnd French descent, whо were flocking tо Barre tо wоrk іn the granite industry. The dedication tо St Monica, related tо the fact thаt the original Montpelier Church wаs dedicated tо Monica’s son, Saint Augustine. Since іts founding, Saint Monica’s has undergone several major renovations.”

With all that is said and done, I suppose it is appropriate that St. Monica’s Church exists and her sainthood is revered in Barre.

Places to eat around Barre.

Espresso Bueno
248 North Main St., Barre, VT 05641

802-479-0896

Visit Website

Category: Café

Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Alcohol: Yes

Cornerstone Pub & Kitchen
47 North Main St., Barre, VT 05641

802-476-2121

Visit Website

Category: Restaurant

Meals: Lunch, Dinner

Alcohol: Yes

Mister Z’s Pizza
379 North Main St., Barre, VT 05641

802-479-3259

Visit Website

Category: Restaurant

Meals: Lunch, Dinner

Alcohol: Yes

Positive Pie
219 North Main St., Barre, VT 05641

802-622-8051

Visit Website

Category: Restaurant

Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Alcohol: Yes

Steak House Restaurant
1239 US Route 302, Barre, VT 05641

802-479-9181

Visit Website

Category: Restaurant

Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Alcohol: Yes

The Quarry Kitchen + Spirits
210 N Main St., Barre, VT 05641

802-479-7002

Visit Website

Category: Restaurant

Meals: Lunch, Dinner

Alcohol: Yes




CONTACT US


5 + 1 = ?


Windshield Repair

About Barre

BARRE IT’S A GREAT PLACE TO GO

Barre (pronounced “bear-ee”) is a city in Washington County, Vermont. Barre City is almost completely surrounded by Barre (the town), which is incorporated separately from the City of Barre. Barre is often twinned with nearby Montpelier in local media and businesses. It is the main city in the Barre Micropolitan area which, at approximately 59,564 residents, is the 3rd largest in Vermont (after Burlington and Rutland).

The arrival of the railroad in Barre helped the granite industry become major. Word of the famous deposit of granite (which some geologist say is 4 miles long, 2 miles wide and 10 miles deep), spread to Europe and Canada, inviting large numbers of people to migrate to Barre from a number of countries.

Barre City is more than the “Granite Center of the World.” Convenient downtown shopping, a variety of recreation opportunities, great schools, and diverse housing opportunities make Barre City a great place to live.

The Town of Barre is nestled deep within the Green Mountains of Central Vermont. Our  lovely and intimate community was officially chartered in 1781 and is now home to approximately 7,900 residents.

On November 6, 1780, 19,900 acres of land which was west of the New Hampshire Grants and east of New York was chartered to William Williams and 60 others and given the name of Wildersburgh. This chartered land encompassed the area that is now known as the City of Barre and the Town of Barre. In 1788 John Goldsbury and Samuel Rogers brought their families here and began to settle the area.  They were eventually joined by other people from New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

On March 11, 1793, the first town meeting was held in the community. The name of the community was eventually changed to Barre. There is some debate about whether this occurred by auctioning off the right to the highest bidder or by means of a fist fight.

After the initial process of settling the community, the basic manufacturing enterprises of the day (saw mill, grist mill and bartering of food) were established. Barre started to develop in a different manner than the surrounding communities after the granite industry was established soon after the War of 1812. The development of this industry and other factors led to some population growth up until 1830. However, this growth leveled off for some fifty years thereafter. There were 2,012 residents in 1830 and just 2,060 in 1880.

The arrival of the railroad in Barre helped the granite industry become a major industry.  The fame of this vast deposit of granite, which some geologist say is 4 miles long, 2 miles wide and 10 miles

,

soon spread to Europe and Canada.  Large numbers of people migrated to Barre from Italy, Scotland, Spain, Scandinavia, Greece, Lebanon, Canada and a number of other countries.  The population increased from 2,060 in 1880, to 6,790 in 1890, to 10,000 in 1894.

Over time, a major portion of the population came to reside in the lower valley portion of the Town which included different villages.  For reasons best known to the people of the time, just under four square miles of the more populated area of the town was carved out in 1895, and the City of Barre was created by the action of the voters and the charter which was granted by the state legislature.  The City of Barre has continued to exist as a separate governmental entity from the Town to this date.

Source: Extracted from “Barre in Retrospect 1876-1976 published by the Friends of the Aldrich Public Library, 1975.




CONTACT US


0 + 4 = ?


Windshield Repair